Monday, March 30, 2015

Shakshouka!


I know, I know.. So I'm quite behind on my posts.. but in good news, March has been a fairly ambitious month of cooking! It's mainly ambitious because it's cooking with ingredients on hand- meaning kind of making stuff up, but with existing online recipes. Did I make any sense? lol...

Anyway, the above photo is a dish I made on a Sunday morning. I was doing my morning routine (fartin' around on instagram) and saw this on someone's instagram and right then and there I decided that I was going to make this, Shakshouka! So what the heck is this beautiful creation? Well.. according to Wikipedia, Shakshouka is an Arabic dish of eggs poached in a sauce of tomatoes, chili peppers, and onions along with other spices.

My version of Shakshouka was different because I actually used a cheat! So my mom gave me this giant jar of organic gourmet fancy pants tomato sauce. This sauce tasted different than your typical Prego, Ragu sauce and etc.. it tasted like fresh tomatoes that was seasoned lightly with herbs. So instead of making Shakshouka from scratch with the different spices (cumin, sweet paprika, cayenne.. since I only had one of two spices) I just used this tomato sauce as the base since it was already seasoned. With that said, you can probably do this with a can of diced tomatoes with herbs. And because I didn't have any peppers laying around, I just dashed this with maybe a teaspoon of chili powder.

This was incredibly easy to make and although I don't know what authentic Shakshouka taste like.. I did really enjoy the taste of mines and would definitely make this again.

Ingredients:
1 Can of diced tomatoes w/ herbs
2 Cloves of minced garlic
1/2 Diced onion (yellow or white)
3 Eggs
Chili pepper
Cilantro
Olive oil
Salt
Pepper

Directions: Drizzle olive oil in a pan at a medium-high heat and then throw in the minced garlic, diced onions, and add a teaspoon of chili powder. Mix until onions are transparent and soft. Add in your can of diced tomatoes w/ herbs, bring it to a simmer and then crack your eggs in! Let it cook for a few minutes and then place your pan under your broiler (couples minutes until the top looks fairly cooked). If you don't have a broiler, you can set your heat on low-medium and cover the pan so that the steam can cook the eggs.

Once the eggs have been cooked to over-easy, sprinkle some salt, pepper, and cilantro. Voila! Ready to serve! Serve this with toasted bread- I prefer French bread, but you can use any kind you like or whatever you have on hand. Oh! And this was enough for two people!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment