Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Seared Ahi Tuna w/ Kale & Chickpea Salad.


I've been eating a lot of kale lately and that's not because I'm on some kale kick. We buy kale during our normal grocery routine because it's cheap, healthy, and I mainly use it for my green smoothies. But as of late, I've been eating it as a salad because sometimes I just don't want a smoothie.

So sometimes during the day, I try to figure out what I'll be making for dinner. One day, I wanted to make something with kale and chickpeas because that was pretty much all I had at home. I went on pintrest and typed "kale" and "chickpeas". Found a bunch of recipes for a kale and chickpea salad so why the heck not. Now, I'm the type of person who needs meat (lol) and so I decided after work to go to the local Japanese Market and buy a small teeny slab of Ahi Tuna... because that shizz is expensive. Anyway.. not only did the dish turn out really good- it was also healthy, light but yet filling (because of the chickpeas).

Serving Size: 2
Ingredients:
4 Stocks of kale
1 Can of chickpeas (you can buy them fresh, but you'd have to soak them for awhile)
3 Cloves of garlic (roasted, throw them in the oven covered in olive oil for 30 minutes at 375 degrees)
1/2 Lemon
Salt
Pepper
Ahi tuna
Soy sauce and rice vinegar
Olive oil

Salad: Cut the kale leaves off the stems and chop the leaves into small bite size pieces. Drizzle olive oil into a pan and place your kale in (warning: they will start popping). Stir the kale until all is covered in olive oil, cook for 3-5 minutes, remove heat and place in bowl. Open your can of chickpeas and strain the juices out and rinse. Since these are already cooked, you can then put half of the can with the bowl of kale (or the whole thing if you really like chickpeas). Throw in your roasted garlic, squeeze at least a tablespoon of lemon juice, sprinkle a dash of salt and pepper and mix everything together until all is even distributed.

Tuna: Have your pan on high heat. For my tuna, I kept it simple. I mixed a tablespoon of soy sauce and rice vinegar- I dipped my tuna in this before searing. The searing is very quick. I seared each side for about 10-15 seconds since the pan was very hot. Once all sides have been seared, let it rest for about 5 minutes.

Lastly.. plate everything the way you like. Voila! Very easy and healthy.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment