Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Bun Thang.


Hey now! I tend start my entry off the same.. and it's been a long time heh.. Since my last post when I wrote about our trip to Peru- not much has been going on. Nothing really too crazy worth writing about. Aside from receiving a promotion at work from Team Lead Credentialing Analyst to Supervisor- not much has been going on.

It's towards the end of the year and people usually make new years resolution(s) which is a waste of time in my opinion because everyday you should be striving to do and be better. Plus you should really have fun with it and with that said.. I'm going to cook one Vietnamese dish a month starting the new year- only because the only thing I know how to make are spring rolls and that's not cutting it. I need to learn these dishes because my parents will not be around forever and I need to pass down some part of my culture.

Soooo I wanted to experiment prior to the new year with Bun Thang because I remember that this soup broth was light so that meant it was simple. My mom never made this for us because its a dish from the north so it wasn't as common, but I would always eat this at my friends house. I watched a couple of youtube videos and every recipe is different- but I figured I can break it down to more of a simple recipe. 

Serving Size: 3
Broth:
- 1 Chicken thigh (large)
- 4 Cups of water
- 3 tablespoons Granulated vegetarian mushroom seasoning
- 1 Medium onion (halved)
- Fish sauce (to taste)
- Salt & pepper

Toppings:
- Shredded chicken (the chicken from the broth)
- 2 Eggs (cooked to a thin omelet and thinly sliced)
- Cha lua (Vietnamese pork "meatloaf"- julienned)

Herbs & Garnish:
- Cilantro (roughly chopped)
- Onion (halved, thinly sliced)
- Green onions (chopped)

I would write out the directions, but I think the ingredients are fairly straight forward. And!! Don't forget a packet of vermicelli rice noodles- you can read the instructions on the back of the package on how long to cook it for. Also I believe shrimp paste is called for in the broth and used as a topping as well, but I think it's fine without it. Plus, Mitchell is my guinea pig and he really liked it so that's a win!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment