Saturday, June 30, 2018

June : Dau Hu Sot Ca (tofu w/ tomato sauce)


GUYS! I did it. I cooked something Vietnamese this month- completely last minute, but whatevs.. it's something I've never cooked before. This was simple and pretty tasty. I don't think my mom ever made this for us as kids.. or maybe I don't remember (or maybe I refused to eat it because it was tofu). I decided to make dau hu sot ca which is tofu with tomato sauce. Some recipes had  fried tofu and some didn't.. I fried my tofu only because I believe it tastes better and it gives texture to the dish since the tomatoes would be cooked down. I enjoyed this dish and I would definitely make it again - very inexpensive to make.

Ingredients:
- Firm tofu
- Tomatoes
- Garlic
- Green onions
- Cilantro
- Fish sauce
- Sugar
- Salt
- Pepper
- Chili oil

Tofu prep: You need dry your tofu. You can do this by having it sit between thick layers of paper towels and using plates or something somewhat heavy for pressure. This will squeeze the water out. Once dried enough, you cut the tofu into manageable sizes to fry (up to you). Next... fry the tofu (5-7 minutes each side). Put it aside on a paper towel so it can soak the excess oil.

Tomato sauce: Tablespoon of oil into your pan- throw in the garlic (minced), green onions (chopped), tablespoon of fish sauce, dash or two of sugar (less than a tablespoon), tablespoon of chili oil (more if you want) and let it cook down for a bit. probably.. 5-8 minutes. Throw in the chopped tomatoes and let it cook until it becomes a bit mushy - stir occasionally.

Final step: Toss in the fried tofu with the tomato sauce. Salt and pepper to taste- and top it off with chopped cilantro. Serve with rice and you're done! Pretty simple.. so simple that I wrote the instructions for it. hehe.







Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment